Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Chimney TV Walls

I haven't posted anything in a while because I've been busy with friends visiting and doing other fun and exciting things that I could write about, but don't want to get back to this being just a bunch of pictures of me hanging out with friends.

The only work I've done on my house involves cleaning ... and it is definitely cleaner than it has been in a long, long time. I even had some of the aforementioned friends sleeping on the first floor. Anyways, the next thing I want to do is frame out around the chimney. This is basically what I want to do:



I used IKEA's room design freeware which limited me from showing what I actually think it will look like, but you can get the idea. The shelving will be built into the wall on both side and there will be a HVAC duct on the left side of the image closing in that section of shelves. The chimney will have a mantle on it with the flat screen hanging above. I am going to use an in-wall mounting bracket so I can wire electric to it and easily hide all the wires. I am looking at the Sanus LR1A system (below). It will bring the TV flush against the wall and also allow me to extend it out and rotate toward the "dining" area in case I am working over there and want to watch something.






If I find better freeware to use, I'll make a better mock-up of this and other areas I need to work on.

2 comments:

Corey said...

Looking good.

How big of a TV are you looking to get? If it's a big TV the articulating arm mechanism will have to be HUGE to be able to turn a TV 90 degrees. For instance, if you have a TV that is 46" wide, the arm will have to swing out 23". If you recess the box, the arm will have to be even longer.

I thought about an articulating mount, but the costs were high and I decided it would freak me out to have my big tv hanging out in the middle of the room like that. I'd damage it at some point in time. I ended up going with a cheap tilt mount and couldn't be happier. I think I got this one for around $25. I do wish I had done a recessed plug coupled with the low voltage opening to to help clean up the cabling.

Patrick said...

I already have the TV, it's about 39" wide and weighs about 60 lbs. The mount I am looking out extends 20" and can hold up to 100 lbs. The TV won't be able to rotate 90 degrees, but enough for it to be viewable from most angles.

Do you get a lot of stuff from that site? It seems like there are a lot of good deals there.