Saturday, August 22, 2009

Charm City Roller Girls

I went to my first Charm City Roller Girls event tonight at DuBurns arena and it was great. I recently found out someone I went to college with is one of the girls on the Charm City squad and made it a point to check it out. I've wanted to see what it was all about for a while but never got around to actually going to one of the events.

I was honestly surprised when I got there and the place was packed, I had no idea how popular this was and how much of a following there was. Almost every seat was taken and there were a lot of people just standing to watch. I had a friend get there before me so I kind of had a seat saved for me and made it up to the first row.

The girls I knew was awesome ... even though she kinda reminded me of Happy Gilmore at times; she kept getting sent to the penalty box. When she was the Jammer, (I had to read the rules in the program about 4 times before I had a decent understanding of what was going on) she was great and got the crowd into it when she got points. Hell, even when she fouled someone she raised her arms and got cheers like she didn't why they sent her to the bench.

My pictures aren't great, but all I had was my iPhone. The Charm City squad lost, but it was fun to watch and I am definitely going again.


No comments: