Monday, September 15, 2008

Irish Festival, Friday Night

I went to the Irish festival in Canton on Friday around 6:00 PM, just after it opened. There was constant but light rain when I got there and I didn't mind so much. The music was really good, a band called Donegal Xpress was playing and had a violinist the looked pretty hot (who was definitely hotter because she was playing the violin). Tir Na Nog was one of the vendors there offering Shepard's Pie and Irish Stew ... aside from the ridiculously small portion for the price, the Irish Stew was amazing. Unfortunately, the festival didn't have any good drink specials ... I thought the point of these were to get a mass of people to come there instead of go to the bars, the Guinness was $6 for a pint ... I can get it equal or cheaper at most of the bars on the square without having to deal with the rain. One of the stands (it was more of a table off to the side) was Baltimore GAA, the Gaelic Athletic Association. I talked to the girl there for a while and think I would like to try out some of their stuff, except practice/try-outs are Sunday when I will be getting ready (drinking) for the Ravens-Browns game. Maybe I can drop-in later in the season?

Anyways, the light rain turned into a heavy downpour and after the band played a cover of Dropkick Murphys "Shipping up to Boston" I was happy enough to leave and head to Looney's for some shelter and less expensive beer (now I need to go home and watch the Departed). Ran into some friends and went to another place where some band was playing then went home to crash for my 4:30 AM wake-up call for the Dragonboat Races (more on that later).


Charm City Barfly said...

OMG, they were charging $6 for a beer. I left immediately after that beer and went to a bar outside the square (hate Looney's)

Patrick said...

I wanted to go to the newly re-opened Tiburzi's or Mahaffey's but Looney's was closer (with the heavy downpour, this was important) and had a larger menu (needed to get real food after the small portion of Irish Stew). The place we ended up after the rain let up was on the corner of Essex and Wagner I think ... don't remember what it's called though.